Thursday, November 12, 2015

Day 2: Dance Competition (Solo)-morning

We had to be at the Dolphin hotel bright and early Monday morning.  I know I haven't blogged in 2 years, but Emily had a lyrical solo for the first time this year (probably why I haven't blogged in 2 years=too busy).  She did very well throughout the year.  Since she was 9 years old, she had to compete in the junior level and the team she was on was intermediate level.  I was worried about this since she didn't have experience at all in the solo world (most girls on her team had one the previous year, but due to several reasons I wanted her to wait and she wasn't ready a year before this).  Her first time to do her solo (at Masquerade in Bentonville), I think she proved to everyone that she is an artist.  She gave me chills up there and did remarkably well her first time on the stage.  She received a Platinum (highest adjudicated score).  She had a lyrical solo to Time After Time (by Pink).  She was so graceful and displayed a lot of emotion for a 9 year-old.  Our goal for the year was for her to make the top 10 at least once and score at least the middle adjudicated score.  She did that every time and a few times made the highest adjudicated score and was 3rd overall at two competitions and 4th overall at one + 4th overall TOP entertainer!  So, this year she did much better than anyone expected.  We were so proud of her!  I knew that the Starpower Nationals were going to be very fierce competition since this was such a huge draw for a lot of teams.  Plus, her division here was 9-12 year olds.  I didn't want to put doubt in her, but I told her just to do her best, she had already done way better than anyone expected.  However, she was feeling very anxious that morning.  She kept saying she needed to score 5 stars (the highest score).  I told her it didn't matter as long as she did her best.  She never had talked about scores before or appeared this anxious.  She was practicing over and over.   I believe she did very well, but her leaps were not as good as they usually are, but overall she did fantastic.  I suddenly felt guilty about doing so much walking the previous day.  The poor girl was so exhausted.  She ended up with 4 3/4 stars (next to highest adjudication), so still pretty good!  However, she was devastated!  It kind of ruined her day, so I hated that for her.  She did have better luck the rest of the dance competition.  I always tell her when she didn't score the way she wanted was to "prove them wrong".  I tell her to show those judges (or dance teachers) that they made a mistake and they should have given her the highest score.  This usually helps motivate her.



After the competition, we decided to go to Animal Kingdom and some of her dance friends went along as well.  It was pouring down rain at the time though.  I even had to buy Disney rain ponchos because "someone" took them out of the backpack to make it lighter.  HA!   I'm very excited about my Disney ponchos though!

No comments: